It’s only when you have your first baby, that you realise how much stuff they need. When you go out you have gone from carrying phone, purse, and keys to carrying around the contents of a small house.
The most important thing as a new parent seems to be the diaper bag. These need to carry everything you will ever need. And that is a lot of stuff. This is a purchase that you really should get right. A good diaper bag can make your life easier. A bad diaper bag where you either can’t fit everything in it that you require, or you can’t find it when it is in the bag, can be hell.
Before you buy a diaper bag you need to think about the style you prefer. Traditional diaper bags have been just that, bags. The over one shoulder bag. But there is a new school of thought that says a backpack would be better than a diaper bag.
If you can’t decide which type to get you need to research to see which is better for you. Take a look at Backpack Diaper Bags for guidance on which one is the better option and for reviews on the best choices.
Your diaper bag needs to be able to carry an amazing amount of mommy and baby stuff and be strong and durable. It already seems that we are asking a lot of a diaper bag here!
- You are not going to be able to carry a baby, a diaper bag, and your handbag so the first sad news is that you will be ditching the handbag. This means that your diaper bag will need to carry not only your baby’s requirements, but also your own.
- As your bag will carry so much stuff, you need to be able to easily find everything. The last thing you want to be doing is rummaging around your bag while trying to pacify a crying baby. You need a bag where you can organise the contents easily. You need to buy a bag with multiple pockets so you can organize the contents. Some bags even have a separate space for your own items.
- Room for expansion. When your child becomes a toddler, you will need a different array of gear to carry around. Will the bag still function for mommy and toddler? Also, consider you might have another baby so you have a baby and a toddler. Will the diaper bag be able to handle the added contents?
- Most diaper bags have a single strap. You can either put it over your shoulder or in some cases across your body. However, the weight of the bag hanging off one shoulder is going to be uncomfortable. It is also a potential for causing problems in later life with your back and hips due to being unbalanced for years! Plus, it means you don’t have both arms free. Again, this is going to be tricky when you have reached the stage of a baby and a toddler.
- Whilst this is not the most important factor, you also want a bag that looks good. Remember that Daddy will be carrying it as well as you. Will he love the pink flowered look?
Having looked at diaper bags and their pros and cons, we should take a look at diaper backpacks. Are they going to be better than a carefully designed bag that has been used and improved over the years?
- Like with the diaper bags, compartments and pockets make life easier. Most backpacks have a variety of pockets and compartments that are big enough for you to use easily.
- Room for expansion. The backpacks have plenty of space for you to stow your additional gear. They also have the benefit of not appearing bulky when they are jam-packed.
- A diaper backpack is a clear winner here because they are easier to carry and you can free up both arms.
- There are some great diaper backpacks that don’t even look like a diaper bag. There are others with an integrated changing pad. Whichever you choose, you know the man in your life won’t mind walking down the street carrying a backpack.